Oral health is often linked to overall health. Maintaining good oral health contributes to maintaining optimum dental health. A crucial part of oral health is regular dental checkups. In addition to habits like brushing and flossing, regular checkups with the dentist help maintain good dental hygiene. Regular checkups ensure that any problems will be detected and dealt with at the early stages. Dealing with dental problems in their early stages ensures that they do not worsen or cause further complications. Keeping an eye out for dental problems can alert you to when you need to consult a dentist. Some common dental issues you need to look out for include:
1. Tooth Decay:
A tooth has a hard protective outer layer called the enamel. Tooth decay occurs when this layer gets damaged. Plaque, a sticky layer filled with bacteria builds up on teeth. When you eat sugar-filled food, the bacteria in the plaque create acids that attack the tooth enamel. Damage to the enamel leaves the tooth vulnerable and susceptible to cavities. Cavities are permanently damaged areas in the hard surface of your teeth that develop into tiny openings or holes. Cavities can present without any symptoms in the beginning. Symptoms depend on the extent and location of the cavity. When the decay gets larger, you may develop symptoms such as:
· Toothache, spontaneous pain or pain that occurs without any apparent cause.
· Tooth sensitivity
· Visible holes or pits in your teeth
· Pain when you bite down
· Pain when eating or drinking something sweet, hot or cold
· Brown, black or white staining on the surface of a tooth
Cavities get worse over time if left untreated. This can affect the treatment required to resolve the issue. Some preventive measures you can adopt to combat cavities include:
· Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
· Eat nutritious and balanced meals and limit snacking
· Consult your dentist about the use of supplemental fluoride, which can be used to strengthen your teeth, and about the use of dental sealants. A dental sealant is a protective plastic covering that is applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to protect them from decay.
· Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral examination
Cavities and tooth decay are among the world’s most common health problems. Though it is more common in children, teenagers, and older adults, it can affect anyone with teeth, including infants.
2. Gum Disease:
Healthy gums are vital to maintaining healthy teeth. Gum diseases that can lead to tooth loss in adults include gingivitis and periodontitis. Gingivitis is inflammation of the gums, usually caused by a bacterial infection. If left untreated, it can develop into a more serious infection, known as periodontitis. Gum diseases can cause the gums to separate from the teeth. This can cause damage to the soft tissue and bone supporting the teeth. The tooth may then become loose and unstable. If the infection progresses, it can even lead to tooth loss or require tooth extraction. Symptoms of gum disease involve:
· Gums that bleed during and after tooth brushing
· Red, swollen, or tender gums
· Persistent bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth
· Receding gums
· Formation of deep pockets between teeth and gums
· Loose or shifting teeth
Preventive measures against gum disease include:
· Avoid clenching and grinding teeth
· Maintain a balanced diet
· Avoid smoking, as this can increase chances of gum disease
· Maintain regular checkups with your dentist
3. Bad Bites:
Your bite is an important part of your oral health. Bite refers to the way the upper and lower teeth come together. A bad bite is when the upper and lower teeth do not meet properly, or they don’t meet at all. A bad bite, also called malocclusion, can cause difficulties such as:
· Wears down the enamel
· Affects appearance
· Wears down teeth
· Stress on jaw joints
· Problems swallowing
· Speech difficulties
· Gum disease
· Hard to clean
Consulting a dentist to rectify bad bite can help improve your oral health. Depending on the type of issue you have, they can suggest the proper course of action.
Regular checkups with a dentist are an unavoidable part of maintaining oral health. Premium Naseem offers the best care for your teeth from highly-skilled dentists. Head over to our dental clinic in Doha to get started on achieving healthier teeth.